Amira Choukair Tame
Amira is a Certified Activities Consultant (ACC-NCCAP), a Certified Montessori Dementia Care Professional (CMCDP), with over 20 years of experience, promoting the advancement of non-drug therapy for individuals with Alzheimer’s and other dementia disorders. Also, Amira is a Certified Laughter Leader for the World Laughter Tour Inc., President of Alzheimer Activities Service; author of five books, “Healing the Wounds of Alzheimer’s”, and “ABC’S of Activities for Alzheimer’s”, “Activity Techniques That Heal the Wounds of Alzheimer’s”, “Amazing Activities for Low Function Abilities and Caregiver Guide”, and her latest book, “Activities Designed for Low Function at Any Level”. Amira is also the creator/producer of a 1hr. “Caregiver Training Video.” Amira was honored with the “MAAP Excellence Award” for her outstanding program and also received a Silver Award for her Activity Techniques book from the National Mature Media. The latest technique Amira developed is a safe way to integrate humor into an activity program, with great success.
Providing therapeutic activities for hundreds of people with Alzheimer’s has given her an opportunity to develop activities that are successful at any stage of dementia. Amira has shared her techniques with other professionals through caregiver training sessions, and provides workshops approved by NCCAP for 1hr, 2hr, and 8 clock hour/CE units online/ on-demand Training Course toward NCCAP activity professional certification. Training hospice care volunteers has been especially rewarding. Amira is a member of the Michigan Association of Activities Professionals, the National Association of Activities Professionals and the Alzheimer’s Association. Her techniques have gained the trust and respect of her peers, the medical community, and most importantly, those she has helped reestablish a sense of respect and dignity to their lives. re-certification.
“When I began working with residents in various stages of Alzheimer’s, it didn’t take long for me to realize that for my activities to be successful I had to address the fear, anger, frustration, low self-esteem, and other negative feelings that were barriers to success. I felt confident that if I got to know them and find their likes and dislikes I could help return some of their memory function and teach them new activities.”
“I soon recognized that residents with dementia had their own set of issues and needs and I would have to customize my repertoire of activities to accommodate those limitations and needs. Not only did I recognize a need for specialized activities for residents with dementia, I realized the progressive nature of Alzheimer’s, and it became evident to me that activities had to be easily adjusted to each individual’s needs and abilities as their cognitive and physical abilities changed, either declining or improving.”
Travel far enough, and you will meet yourself
• Certified Activities Consultant (NCCAP)
• Certified CE Educator (NCCAP)
• Certified Reiki Master and Teacher
• Certified Dementia Practitioner (CDP)
• Certified Montessori Dementia Care Professional (CMDCP)
• N.A.D.A. Certified Auricular Acupuncturist
• Trained Activity Directors in nursing homes
• Produced a Caregiver Training Video for Activities
• Certified Laughter Leader – World Laughter Tour
• Official Chair One Fitness Trainer
• Certified 1hour and 2hour class (NCCAP) for caregivers and professionals and an 8 hr. online course
• Taught Nursing students & caregivers at Henry Ford Community College
• Participated in the Alzheimer’s Association’s Public Policy Forum in Washington D.C.
• President Your Wellness Center LLC, providing activities for individuals and groups with dementia for over 20 years
• Michigan Association of Activity Professionals (MAAP) – Excellence Award for Demonstrating Outstanding Excellence in the Activities Profession
• National Mature Media Award Program – Silver Award Winner
• World Laughter Tour – “Laffayette Award” for “Back to The Future” Advanced Scholars Workshop
• AAHPERD National Convention
• Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Education Workshop for students at W .S. U.
• 14th Annual Alzheimer’s Education Conference & Expo – Plenary Speaker
• Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan’s Conference on “Aging Successfully”
• Madonna University Gerontology students (4hr)“Activity in Aging”
• Ohio Health Care Association’s Convention
• Michigan Association of Activity Professionals Annual Convention
• Henry Ford Hospital, Hospice In-service volunteers
• American Society on Aging
• National Certification Council of Activity Professionals
• National Association of Activity Professionals
• West Bloomfield Rotary Club
• Matrix Human Services
• World Laughter Tour Convention and Advanced Workshops
• Macklin Inter generational Institute Member
• National Acupuncture Detoxification Association
• The Alzheimer’s Association
• Michigan Association of Activity Professionals
• National Association of Activity Professionals
• American Society on Aging convention
• World Laughter Tour – Humor, “Health and Aging”
• Senior Coordination Aging Network (SCAN) of Oakland County
• Association of Applied Therapeutic Humor (AATH) annual convention
If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with the rain!
Where We Talk Art show 66
Join Dave & Merry as they talk with Author Amira C Tame.
Amira has spent her life dedicated toward improving the standard of living for low functioning Alzheimer and Dementia patients and their families. Some of her credentials and certifications(way too long to list here) include presentations and workshops for national health care conferences and national societies.
Let Amira entertain you with her unique perspective developed from decades of experience in the field where she has improvised some creative and effective methods that she shares in “Healing the Wounds of Alzheimer’s Disease” and three other books.